Tuesday 13 January 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Chili & Cornbread

Well I can't say I am particularly happy with the meal. 

It tasted fine, but definitely needs some improvement. 

However I thought I'd share it anyways, with my few adjustments... next time I make it, hopefully we will see a few signs of improvement!

P. S. Cornbread is tricky! 


Chili


1 pound ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon chili powder (I originally used 2 but it was much too spicy!)
Pinch of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper
1 19 oz can of red kidney beans, with liquid (you could do less if you wanted)
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, with liquid (I also tossed in a few fresh tomatoes I had sitting around)


Saute beef, onions, and peppers in a little oil (I used canola) in frying pan, until meat caramelizes and the onion and peppers are tender.

Add the garlic, chili powder, salt, and peppers. 
Saute over low heat 2 minutes.

Add kidney beans and tomatoes.
Bring all to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30-45 minutes. 

Serves 6. 


Cornbread


2 Tablespoons shortening, melted
1 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
 3 1/4 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk


Prepare a 9x9 inch pan by melting shortening in pan. 
Preheat oven to 425F. 

Beat the egg in a bowl. 
Add the milk to the egg and stir until they are well mixed.
Pour melted shortening into the egg and milk mixture and add cornmeal.
Stir. 

Sift flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and add to milk mixture.

Pour batter into pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.

Cut into squares and serve hot with meal, or simply butter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment