Wednesday 22 April 2015

La Kitchenette Souris : Easy Stuffed Mushrooms

This is a very basic recipe for stuffed mushrooms, & you really could make a lot of substitutions, so as to make it more diet friendly, or to use things you have on hand. 

If this is your first time making stuffed mushrooms, this is definitely the recipe to try, since basically, it is almost a "no fail" recipe. Very user friendly. LOL!

If you don't like it spicy, merely leave out the chili peppers/powder... or if you like it more spicy, you could use pre-spiced meat.

Ground sausage or ground beef, or even beans, could work for this recipe, I should think. 

If you make it & change anything, let me know!
I'd love to know how it worked out.

P.S. I have been asked how I get the stems out of the mushrooms & if there is a trick to it.
There is not trick, really.
I wreck half of them & the other half I do perfectly. HAHA
I do attempt to cut a little ring around the stem & cut into the stem a tad, then just using my fingers, gently squeeze & pull the stem straight up.
Sometimes wiggling it a bit & going very slowly prevents the mushroom from cracking in half.


Easy Stuffed Mushrooms


12 fresh mushrooms, washed & stems removed
(cut the stems up & place in bowl, don't throw away!)
1/2 pound ground beef (about 2 cups)
1 Tablespoon white onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt & pepper to taste

1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon chili powder
(I left this out & just sprinkled dried chili peppers over the top)

Preheat over to 425 F.

In a saucepan or frying pan, combine ground beef, onion & garlic.
Cook until meat is fairly done, but not burning, etc. 
Toss in mushroom stems, 1 Tablespoon butter, bread crumbs, salt & pepper.
Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes or until you are sure everything is well cooked. 

Remove from heat or let cool for a minute or two in the pan, then add heavy cream.

Stuff generously into mushroom tops, place in baking dish.
Pour melted butter over the top... if you need a little more than 1/4 cup, so bet it!
I am always generous with butter!
Sprinkle chili powder or peppers on top.

Bake for 18 minutes, or a bit longer if you want them extra done, but I found they fell apart too easily if I cooked them longer.
Since the stuffing is already cooked, the mushroom tops don't take long to roast nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment