Thursday 12 November 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Poppy Seed Cake

This cake is very yummy, but I found I had to bake it a lot longer than most cakes before it was done. 

Also, I can never manage to get these ring cakes out of the pan without half of the bottom falling off. Still working on solving that one!  Maybe you will have better luck.

I would definitely make this cake again. 

Although I think I might make it in 2 loaf pans instead of a 10 inch tube pan.


Poppy Seed Cake


3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
13 fluid ounces evaporated milk
1/4 cup poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350F & grease your 10 inch tube pan.
(Or feel free to split the mixture into 2 pans, but you will have to guess at the time it needs to bake as I haven't experimented with that just yet...)

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt & sugar.
Make a well in the center & add eggs, vanilla, oil & milk.
Mix well & fold in poppy seeds.
Pour into pan(s).

Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean.
I baked mine for more like an hour and 45 minutes before it came out clean, but it was not by any means overdone or burnt! 

Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto a wire rack & cool completely.
You may want to let it cool a little longer. I was told that it may come out of the pan easier if it's not so warm... 

1 comment:

  1. I think poppy-seed cake is my one weakness. Soo yummy. This recipe looks good. It's a lot more simple than the one I use. (I should send you that recipe to try too. In fact, I realized that I got busy over the spring/summer, and never replyed to your last letter. I am so sorry. I am going to be working on getting a holiday letter/package for you in the mail in the next month or so!)

    You probably already tried this, but we always oil the tube pans really, really well, and flour it as well. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with it sticking. I let it sit in the pan for a few minutes to cool first, and then run a knife along the edges as best as you can, and then it should pop right out.

    ReplyDelete