Monday 7 December 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Caraway & Apple Crackers

I have never tried making crackers before, but when I came across this recipe in a cookbook called "My Little French Cookbook", I knew I had to try them.

Now, I would suggest serving these fresh, because they are warm & soft then & actually "chewable". heehee

A day or two later & they got very.... tough, I think is the right word.
At first I thought I did something wrong, but after reading a little about homemade crackers, I think that these are intended to be eaten fresh, like a lot of French cooking is. 

They do have excellent flavor & I will likely make them again some time, to go along with a soup.


Caraway & Apple Crackers


1 3/4s cup rye flour
1/2 Tablespoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of sugar
1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored & roughly grated
1/3 cup warm water 

In a large bowl, mix together the rye flour, caraway seeds, yeast, salt, sugar & apple.
Pour in water & mix until you have a sticky ball.
Cover the bowl with a clean wet tea towel & leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350F. 
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Dust work surface with rye flour.

Divide doul in half & roll out 1 half to a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
You may need to dust the dough with more rye flour if it is too sticky.

Cut the dough into rectangles, roughly 5 by 3 1/2 inches.
If you like, cut the center of each one with a cookie cutter, to make them look like the shutters on a traditional Alsatian house.
Use a brush to dust off any excess flour, then place the dough on baking sheets.
Repeat with other half of the dough.

Bake for 20 minutes or until crackers are crisp.
If cooking the cut out hearts as well, these will only take a couple of minutes (approx 7).
Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Note: The caraway seeds can be omitted or replaced with other seeds like poppy or sunflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment