Thursday 7 January 2016

La Kitchenette Souris: Chicken Garden Salad w/ Kale Pesto

As you know, I have been reading a lot of French cookbooks lately, and I always photocopy recipes I want to try.

I have actually started trying some of them so you will be seeing some new foods shared here.

I am attempting to try a few recipes that can suit vegetarian or gluten free diets... 

This salad is a lot of work, but very delicious & super healthy! 

Preparing the ingredients:


I am also thrilled because I successfully made my first pesto & it turned out so well!


This makes a very large amount, meant to serve 10 people. 

I halved the recipe, but I will give you the recipe for 10 servings & then you can decide whether or not you wish to halve it.


Chicken Garden Salad with Kale Pesto


Making The Chicken:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice (use a real lemon)
10 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed & patted dry with paper towels

Mix together olive oil, salt, pepper & lemon.
Brush onto chicken breasts, then place pieces into glass casserole dishes.
Place a little water in the bottom of the pan & then cover with aluminum foil.

Bake at 350F for 1 hour or a little more if you like it a little crispy or aren't sure if it's quite done. 

Cut into pieces & refrigerate until ready to serve.

Making The Pesto:

3 cups stemmed kale leaves, well washed & dried
1/3 cup walnuts
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender (I used a Nutri Bullet & it worked really well) & blend until smooth.

Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate until ready to serve.

Remove from the fridge 20 minutes before serving so it can warm up a little. 

Making The Salad:

1 large cucumber (any variety should do nicely), trimmed & thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half (I used yellow tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups green beans, trimmed, blanched & cooled
3 cups spinach leaves, well washed & dried
bit of extra virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt

Toss all together until oil is evenly coating the vegetables.

Divide onto 10 plates & top each portion with chicken pieces & pesto.

Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment