Wednesday 4 February 2015

La Kitchenette Souris: Stuffed Mushrooms

This was my first time stuffing mushrooms, in any way, shape, or form.
Usually I just cut them up and saute them in butter or mix them into some sort of stir-fry.

I'm not a big fan of mushrooms myself, but the folks are, so I thought I'd give these a go, and they do have excellent flavor...

It smelled so good while cooking, I had to have a taste! 


Stuffed Mushrooms


1 1/2 pounds mushrooms with 1 inch caps
(you can actually buy mushrooms in small cartons that say "Stuffing Mushrooms" on them)
1 pound Italian sausage (I used spicy sausage!)
1 onion, minced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1-2 teaspoons red chili powder (I did one because my meat was spicy, and you don't need a lot to get that "zip")
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 cup bread crumbs, fine and dry
Dash of apple cider vinegar

Remove and chop stalks from the mushrooms.
Reserve the caps.
Saute the stalks in a few tablespoons of butter until tender.
Set aside.

In a heavy frying pan, gently brown sausage, then saute next 7 ingredients until onion is transparent.
Blend in bread crumbs, chopped mushroom stalks, and apple cider vinegar. 

Fill the reserved mushroom caps with stuffing.

Pour hot, melted butter over mushrooms and roast in oven for about 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are done, but not soggy.

(The recipe says to dip the mushrooms in hot butter but I found that messy and they fell apart easily, so pouring a little over added the same flavor, without the hassle!)

Serve immediately!



P.S.

I also served Hasselback Potatoes with this meal~ I shared that recipe earlier on this blog, which you can find quickly by going onto "La Kitchenette Souris" page & scrolling down through the "Glossary of Recipes".

The first time I made them, I was not impressed. 

This time, however, they were amazing, so I think I have perfected the recipe! 





2 comments:

  1. Love the new recipes - they are both awesome side dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look amazing... I am not a huge fan of raw mushrooms, and the only other way I've had them, (besides on pizza,) is sauteed in butter. Which i love. :) I think I'll have to try serving them this way.

    ReplyDelete