Monday 20 April 2015

La Kitchenette Souris : English Royalty Chocolate Chip Scones { And An Update }

Wow, it has been a while since I blogged a recipe!

In short, I am not doing my 365 in 365 challenge anymore.
It was just too stressful & was making cooking/baking not fun anymore, which I didn't want to have happen.

So now I will just be cooking as i have inspiration & time, or as the budget allows. 

Lately I've just really needed a break from cooking.

I did make 2 meals this past week, but both were something of a disaster & that really shook me up, because I am NOT used to failing in the kitchen.
I can always salvage things & make them edible.
But not these 2 items.

It wasn't entirely my fault, as I didn't have proper ingredients & was also rushed.... 
Still, kind of a shock to the system when you suddenly fail at something you've always been able to do without thinking! o_O 

For a bit there, I was scared to attempt making anything again.
Perhaps I had jinxed myself.
But appears not.

I was able to make 3 new recipes & they all turned out quite well! 

Carrying on now...............


I had received a request to find a good Chocolate Chip Scone recipe from a lovely Royalist on Twitter, so when I came across this one, I just knew it was the perfect one to try.

Also, the addition of orange juice to the recipe intrigued me!

Now I have tweaked it a tad, & the end results are quite pleasing.

Perfect to go with a cup of tea!


English Royalty Chocolate Chip Scones


1 3/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted 
1/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons butter, chilled & cubed
1/2 miniature chocolate chips (I used regular ones)
5 Tablespoons orange juice, pulp free
3 Tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 375F.
Grease a baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt.
Then cut in butter & mix with one hand until nice & crumbly.

Add chocolate chips.
Then add orange juice & milk & mix until you have a fairly smooth dough, but I found it was still a bit crumbly... 

Place dough on a lightly floured surface & roll out until 1/2 inch thick. 
(About a 8-9 inch circle)

Cut out wedges, or use a cookie cutter. 
You should be able to make around 12 scones.

Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Transfer onto wire racks to cool, but I definitely suggest serving these warm.
I didn't have clotted cream, but that would be lovely, or whipping cream as well.
I did dash a bit of cinnamon on top, which was very good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment