Tuesday 21 April 2015

La Kitchenette Souris : Almost-Famous Breadsticks

These are the first breadsticks I've made completely from scratch!
And by that I mean, I didn't use any form of frozen pre-made dough I bought at the grocery store. heehee

Well worth it, I think.

These are a bit on the heavy side & I found they were too salty, so I've adjusted the recipe & hopefully they aren't as salty for you.

Very lovely served warm & with a bit of butter, or dipped in some sort of pasta sauce.


Almost-Famous Breadsticks


For The Dough:

1 Tablespoon quick rising dry yeast
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting/kneading
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/4 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Place 1/4 cup warm water in a bowl, with the yeast & 1/4 Tablespoon sugar.
Let stand 5 minutes.

Then mix with the flour, butter, sugar, & salt, plus another 1 1/4 cups warm warm water. 
Add 2 Tablespoons more of warm water, & knead for about 5 minutes. 

Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead another 3-5 minutes, until dough is smooth & stretchy.
Divide into 16 pieces.
(I rolled mine into a long log & cut it, but whatever is easier for you)
Shape into 7 inch long ropes.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper & place dough ropes on them, 2 inches apart.

Cover with a cloth, set in warm place & let rise for 45 minutes to an hour.

Preheat oven to 400F.
Make the topping.

For The Topping:

6 Tablespoons butter, melted
(you may need a bit more~ I think I used around 8 Tablespoons)
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
(I was generous because I love herbs)

Brush breadsticks with topping & then bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

When you take the breadsticks out of the oven, immediately brush with topping again, then place on wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment