Tuesday 23 June 2015

La Kitchenette Souris Tips : How I Cook My Rice

I was talking to my Mom the other day about what we were going to make for supper & she made a remark I got to thinking about:

"Well it just isn't the same as when you make it."

She follows the same recipe, uses the same ingredients, etc. 
But mine still tastes different.

She thinks it is just because I'm a chef or I add secret ingredients I don't tell you about.
*grins* 

For the record, I list all my ingredients. 
I try to list all my steps.

However I do some prep work on certain items that I never tell you to do when I share recipes.
Perhaps that is why my food turns out differently.

Anyways, I thought it was about time I started sharing my tips with you. 

When I think of something I might prepare or cook a little differently than most, I will attempt a quick blog post explaining how I do it, in the hopes that it will also help you in the future.


How I Cook My Rice


 I shared this recipe a couple days ago & as you can see, I served it on top of rice.

I prefer to use 2 types of rice:
~Long Grain White Rice
~Jasmine White Rice

I like the taste & texture & how fluffy it gets.

Yet there is a secret to getting it so fluffy & soft! 

Wash It.

That's right.
Wash it.

Before putting your rice in the pot, wash it in cold water over & over & over until the water runs clear!

You will be amazed at how different it tastes & feels!
It will get a tad stickier, but that's just fine.

Then place it in your pot with the right amount of fresh water, add a tablespoon or two of butter (more or less depending on how much you are cooking), & I also like to add a dash of salt 'n' pepper, along with an herb that will add a nice flavor to my dish.

For herbs, I suggest just a pinch of one of these dried herbs:
~Oregano
~Basil
~Rosemary
~Thyme

They are not overpowering herbs.
All they do is add a subtle flavor to your dish, perhaps giving it just that little "pop" that you need.

I cook my rice 13-15 minutes on low heat (just so it's slightly bubbling). 
Any longer & it will get too dry, begin to burn, & just in general loose that "freshness" you are after. 


Well there you have it!
That's how I prepare & cook my rice.

I hope you are able to give this method a go & have wonderful results!

Do let me know if you are wanting tips in any other areas, looking for advice or ideas, or would like to see me feature another side dish I have not focused on!

No comments:

Post a Comment